Are you looking for a delicious way to upgrade your camping menu? Don’t miss this delicious cast-iron sweet potato hash. This camping recipe is perfect for warming up after a long day or complimenting your next family dinner.
Recipe adapted from one on ThePioneerWoman.com
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 6 scallions
- 2 lb. sweet potato, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- Start by washing and drying all of your produce.
- Carefully peel and cut the sweet potato into 3/4 inch pieces, although you can do smaller if you prefer; just be sure to shorten the cooking time.
- Roughly chop the red bell pepper, being sure to remove all the seeds.
- Thinly slice the scallions, separating the green and the whites.
- Then cut your bacon into bite-size pieces.
- Build a strong fire and lower the grill grate. Add your cast-iron skillet to the grill and dump in the bacon.
- Cook the bacon over medium heat, stirring to ensure it Browns on all sides for approximately 8 to 10 minutes.
- Once the bacon is just starting to crisp up, remove it from the pan being sure to leave the grease behind, and allow the bacon bits to drain on a paper towel.
- Dump in your sweet potato cubes, the bell pepper, and the whites of the scallions.
- Cook for approximately 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the potatoes soften.
- Dump in a half cup of water, salt, paprika, cumin, and garlic powder, then cover and cook for an additional 8 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once the potatoes are uncovered, increase the heat to a medium-high by removing the cast-iron skillet from the grate and setting it directly on the coals.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until the potatoes are starting to brown and most of the liquid is gone.
- Lastly, add in the cooked bacon and green scallions and serve alongside your favorite barbecue, burgers, or other staples of the campground.
Contact us for more information on the incredible RVs for sale on our lot today.